F A Q
- Yes, you float in the nude!
- No, you don’t need to bring anything with you, however…
- If you wear contacts, you may want to bring a case. Contacts should be removed before floating.
- In winter or cold weather, you may want to bring a warm hat. We do not offer a blow dryer; we have special micro-fiber hair drying towels instead!
- Speaking of hair, please don’t float if you just dyed your hair!
- Try not to shave immediately before your float or come with open scrapes – salt water can sting.
- We recommend no caffeine or heavy meals 2 hours prior (so you can relax!)
- The spa is cleaner than any pool you’ve ever been in – the float solution is so high in saline that no living microorganism can survive
- For extra sanitation, we treat with ozone created by UV light oxidation and constantly filter the water with both a pool filter and diatomaceous earth.
- Your skin won’t ‘prune’ in the spa.
- For those who menstruate, you are welcome to float at any time during your cycle, but please use tampons the same as if you were going swimming.
- Floating was developed by the CIA in 1954.
- Yes, this is like Altered States (and Stranger Things!) but you don’t eat mushrooms or lose your grip on reality 🙂
- No, you can’t drown, even if you can’t swim. Your face will stay out of the water naturally and turning over is nearly impossible. If you did manage to turn over, the salt would sting your eyes and wake you up.
Click here for more detailed information from Wikipedia (note that we have a custom built float room, not a pod or tank as described).
Floating Is Beneficial for…
PAIN: Floatation Therapy encourages the production of endorphins, the “runner’s high” hormones which curb sensitivity to pain. Circulation is improved, lactic acid build-up is decreased, and injuries to muscles and tendons heal more quickly. Floating helps sufferers of fibromyalgia and rheumatoid conditions and can help to relieve migraines.
STRESS/INSOMNIA: Floating gives the body a complete rest, diminishing the production of the stress hormone cortisol. This lowers the pulse and blood pressure and allows muscles to relax. These responses can lead to long-term benefits such as a stronger immune system and lowered risk of diseases caused by stress and hypertension. If you need deep rest, you may fall asleep during a float session. Studies have shown that just one session can break a long pattern of insomnia and many experience very restful sleep the night after a session.
ATHLETES: Floatation Therapy decreases cortisol levels and increases the production of endorphins. Total relaxation, plus the lessened gravitational pull on the body, promotes blood circulation and muscle growth. The Epsom salt solution reduces lactic acid build-up, maximizing the benefits of your workout. The rate of your recovery is greatly accelerated and post-workout muscle soreness is reduced.
ARTISTS: Floatation Therapy is increasingly being used by artists and professionals who want to work through a creative block or inspire their work. The slower brain-wave patterns normally experienced just before falling asleep or during deep meditation often bring sudden insights, creative inspirations and clear imagery. We have blank notebooks for use just after floating as some can feel inspired to write or draw immediately after a session.
STUDENTS: The theta wave state also enables “super-learning”, the ability to focus and absorb information quickly. The floatation tank is equipped with a stereo system where students, executives, musicians and dancers can play audio recordings of material that needs to be learned, while visualizing their presentations in a relaxed state.
PREGNANCY: Floating has been proven to help other common conditions of late-stage pregnancy – insomnia, swelling, back pain, depression and anxiety – by detoxing muscles, decreasing cortisol levels and encouraging the production of endorphins. It is often noted that the floatation therapy creates a “mirror effect” of the baby floating in the womb of the mother and the mother floating in the womb-like float spa. Women often experience a deeper bond with their babies in this peaceful environment.
Become a Member of our Float Club !
Check out what Joe Rogan has to say about Floating!
The Simpsons also had quite an experience when they tried sensory deprivation…